Sunday, May 26, 2013

Newsprint nails


I’ve fallen in love. I’m the type of girl that is generally skeptical when people say “you should watch such and such on YouTube” but I listened when my friend Gayle said I should watch Jenna Marbles and she was so right. Jenna Marbles, I have the biggest girl crush on you. I watched every video she had on her main YouTube channel within a week, I found myself talking to my dogs in a Jenna Marbles voice and using foul language all the time. It was like when I watch an entire season of a show in a weekend, everything I did and said made me think of her and how awesome she is. So here is my official recommendation, you should all watch Jenna Marbles and laugh your butt off. My only criticism is that she needs to paint her nails more, that chipped nail look isn’t cutting it, but I still love her.

 I wanted to do these nails for a while but lacked the necessary equipment, if that sentence doesn’t intrigue you I don’t know what will. Since we have the internet and TV, Thad and I don’t get the newspaper, which is very necessary when creating newsprint nails. For these nails I used Sally Hansen CSM Shell We Dance? and an old newspaper I ‘borrowed’ from work.
Newsprint nails

I read about how to do these nails on the interwebs before I tried it myself, most of the directions said that I could use rubbing alcohol or cheap vodka, since I’m way too old for cheap vodka (and I obviously wasn’t going to use Grey Goose) I had to buy rubbing alcohol to do these nails. I think they were worth it. Even though you can’t read most of the words, I used an article about a dog rescue in Minnesota that goes to other states to rescue puppies on death row. I got both of my little girls through places like that, Jules came from Ohio and Millie came from Kentucky, so the article tugged at my heart strings
Can you tell my pointer finger was my first attempt?

The directions I read told me to dip my nail in the rubbing alcohol and then pressing the dry newspaper to it, as you can tell from Mr. Pointer, that didn’t really work. For the other nails I used the much more effective method of dipping the paper in the rubbing alcohol and then put that on my dry nail. After I had perfected the method I tried to redo my pointer finger but it didn’t transfer any newsprint so I guess you only have one shot at doing these.
Ooooooo right hand

I really liked these nails, they were very subtle for me but I liked them nonetheless. I really want to try them again with a page of comics, perhaps I will need to invest in a Sunday paper. J

4 comments: