Sunday, January 6, 2013

Shany stamping plates


Amazon is an amazing thing, it is also very dangerous. Right after Christmas I was tempted by the Amazon gods and spent $40 on nail stuff (including shipping, for some reason saying ‘including shipping’ makes me feel better about the expense). On January 2nd I got home from work only to discover a mini Christmas in my mail box, I had four packages waiting for my arrival. I gleefully opened them up and I am now the proud owner of my very own stamping set. I got two different polishes (Konad black and white), a double ended stamper, scraper, plate holder, and a set of 25 Shany plates (numbered 1-25). Needless to say I was super crazy excited to paint my nails.

This post is going to include my first and second attempt at stamping my nails; I feel it necessary to admit at this point that stamping is way harder than I thought. I learned many lessons with my first attempt, spoiler alert: my first try turned out terribly. The plates came in a little box to keep them organized (which I loved) and they all had a blue film over the engraved side to prevent scratching during shipping. The blue film was really hard to remove and I actually have only managed to get it off about 10 of the plates. So far I’ve found one plate that was scratched under the film, it did ruin one of the designs but the design it ruined is the word ‘sexy’ so I’m not too distraught at losing that one. For the first manicure I used Sally Hansen CSM Shell we Dance?, and Color Club Status Update.
Starting with my thumb: SH22, SH13, SH13, SH03, SH24
Starting with my pinkie: SH22, SH10, SH03, SH24, SH18

 As you can see from the pictures, I ran into a lot of trouble with the scrapping step of nail stamping. I found that I couldn’t get the scrapper to have even pressure so it left some extra paint in some areas. Speed is very important when doing stamping and I’m not a speedy nail artist, so I had paint drying all over the place. If you are thinking of trying nail stamping I would suggest having a lot of Q-tips handy and remover for cleanup of your tools. I would also warn against putting on your topcoat too soon, I figured I could put it on soon than normal nail art and ended up smearing a few of them pretty bad. As soon as I was done with these I wanted to try stamping again, but as I wasn’t feeling well, it took me a couple of days before I had the chance to repaint (yes I had these jacked up nails for more than one day). For my second attempt I used OPI Rosy Future and Goldeneye.
I used plate SH18 for this hand
It was hard to get the whole nail covered
The adorable squirrel lives on plate SH10

Practice makes a huge difference. For my second attempt I took my time while working quickly (if that makes sense). If I didn’t like how the stamp looked on my stamper, I took it off and started over instead of trying to make it work. I think nail stamping is a lot like everything else in nail art in that the more you do it the better it turns out. I really like the finished product of these nails, the white on Rosy Future turned out so feminine and pretty. Each plate averages 6 designs and the whole plate set was only around $12. I’m really looking forward to using at the heart designs for Valentine’s day J

2 comments: