Sunday, April 28, 2013

Purple Ombre nails


Spring is finally here! After snowing for the last three weeks I think we are finally done with the snow and spring is here. I missed green so much, and being warm. I wore a dress yesterday, I love wearing dresses when it’s warm since I hate wearing shorts. I think it was just about the perfect Minnesota weekend. We cleared off the leaves from the patio and I spent a fair amount of time outside today, soaking up vitamin D and remembering that Minnesota does in fact have other seasons besides winter. I hope everyone else had as wonderful of a weekend as I did, it was worth the wait J

For this manicure I felt the urge to do something different so I tried my hand at ombre again. I have done a manicure like this once before and I wouldn’t say it was a success, this time turned out much better. For these nails I used OPI You’re Such a Budapest, China Glaze Gothic Lolita, and Sally Hansen CSM Anenome of Mine.
Purple Ombre

These nails are also sometimes called gradients but I like the word ombre more, even though my Microsoft Word isn’t putting the fun accent mark on the e and I don’t know how to put it on myself. To create the faded look I put the colors on a makeup sponge in three lines and then dabbed it on my nail, then I put on top coat pretty quickly so it smeared it a bit. The smearing didn’t work out so well on my pinkie but the other nails turned out pretty good.
The sponging method didn’t provide for good tip wear

I don’t know what happened to my middle finger, perhaps I was drinking too much, I’m going to guess that the sponge had it out for my middle finger and just decided to deposit a ton of dark purple right at the end. These nails were annoying because I immediately chipped one of them on my right hand and I had no way to really touch it up since the color was mixed and not just out of the bottle. They also annoyed me because they looked so much better from far away than up close but no one looks at your nails from far away (not my nails anyway).
Picture from further away, disregard the filthy windowsill

These nails were far from perfect, but they were lots of fun to do. Next time I want to try to transition from two different colors (like yellow to orange) instead of doing shades of the same color. I imagine it will be tricky to not make it vomit colored in the middle but I think it would be worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment