Sunday, September 16, 2012

Harry Potter nails


I love Harry Potter; I read the series about once a year (right now I’m on Half Blood Prince). I read an interview with Alan Rickman one time where he said that when he is reading Harry Potter when he is 70 and someone asks him ‘still, after all this time?’ his response will be ‘always’. I couldn’t agree more, I will always love Harry Potter. I wanted to do Harry Potter themed nails for a while and you wouldn’t believe how many times I have practiced drawing Hedwig (you really won’t believe it once you see her sad little face). For my first set of HP nails (there will be more, oh yes, there will be more) I used a ridiculous number of polishes.
I figured a picture would be easier than writing them all out

I wanted to go for that classy HP look, so I did a French tip on four of the fingers and then made my thumbs fun. The order I did the tips was not by accident, I decided to do them in order of my likelihood that I would be in that house.
The sorting hat would have an easy job with me

Ravenclaw is my pointer finger, because Ravenclaw is clearly where the sorting hat would put me, then Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, and last Slytherin. It turned out well that my ring fingers were Gryffindor so I could put lightning bolts on them. My thumb is supposed to be Hedwig, she ended up looking a little mean, but it is my first try after all. I was reminded after this how much I hate painting a whole nail white; it always looks so streaky and uneven.
A rare picture of my right hand

I don’t normally take pictures of my right hand for obvious reasons but I wanted to show off my other thumb. At first I did a white deathly hallows on a black background. I used a paint pen for the first time with disastrous results. To make it at least bearable I filled the invisibility cloak in and then drew on the death stick and resurrection stone (which was the hardest by far to draw) with dark blue striper polish.

Hope you enjoy my first attempt at Harry Potter nails! Do all the other Harry Potter fans out there wonder why Sirius didn’t use Polyjuice Potion so that he didn’t get cabin fever in Order of the Phoenix?

1 comment: